• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Regulators and free rise

K

KernelCrush

I have had many CO2 regulators from perlick to beverage factory to micromatic.  The only failure I have had in any of them was when the pressure suddenly free rises on its own, that's when I set them aside and said OK, that's one to rob gauges off some day.    Well this weekend it happened when I was pressurizing a carboy at 2-3 psi to transfer, and I can tell you that 5 gallon carboys wont shatter from psi when using a universal carboy cap.  The caps blow off around 5 psi, and it scares the heck out of you.  (Am I shot?).  But.  Talked to micromatic today.  Take apart the regulator, soak the diaphragm(s) in hot PBW and turkey baste the PBW into the metal part of the regulator.  Dry then reassemble and its good as new.  I restored 3 of them tonite.  Then make sure you have check valves.  Micromatic sells their regulators without check valves, reasoning that the check valves are included with the commercial taps they sell. They forgot about homebrew.

Back