• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

keg carbonating

Brewcave

Apprentice
Reaction score
I would like to try and do all my carbonation in a corny-keg when I'm planning to bottle.  What's the best way to go about it.  I presently use kegs with co2 in my keg-meister.  I'm just getting into kegging, but still like to bottle sometimes.

You are the first person that I know that kegs, but says he likes to bottle. After my first keg brew I knew I would never plan on bottling again.

If you ever plan on entering your brews in a competition, they'd need to be in a bottle.

When I switched to kegging my brews, I put my bottling bucket away and haven't touched it since. When I need a couple of bottles for a comp, or I want to bring some to a party (bottles, growlers, etc.) and don't feel like schlepping my keg across town and setting it up, I'll use the Beergun like prj28. Great piece of equipment to have if you keg but still like to put it in a bottle from time to time.

No need to spend hella $$$$ on a beer gun. This is what I do:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

I have 1 keg and I usually have 3-4 carboys filled. What I do is fill the keg, once its carbonated I bottle the batch and rack the next batch.

One day when I have more kegs and a keezer built I'll probably just bottle when I need to. But for now this works for me.

I just have to add my $.02 about the beer gun.  When it comes to bottling from a keg, there is no easier way to do it, IMHO.  I built my own counterpressure filler.  It now sits under the work bench collecting dust.  My wife bought me a Blichmann beer gun for Christmas a couple of years ago.  It is the way to go.

Today I needed to bottle two bottles of beer for our club's Fall Competition. Beings I won the Summer Competition I figured I need to defined my win. I got out my Beergun and hooked it up to a CO2 tank that has dual regulators. I put some StarSan in a 3 gallon keg and sanitized the system. I disconnected the StarSan keg and hooked up the beer keg. I pulled the trigger until the StarSan blew out. I had two bottles in StarSan and I take one out drain it and purge the inside with CO2 out of the Beergun. Then I pull the trigger and fill the bottle and cap it. I repeat that on the second bottle and I'm done. I hook the StarSan keg back up and run the remaining StarSan through the line. Disassemble everything and I'm done.

In the picture it is set up for sanitizing I thought some might like to see how the Beergun is setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 399
Thanks everyone for all the input.  I believe I'll be adding Beergun to my Christmas list!

I have been using priming sugar. I also let it sit out for a week or so. I think longer the better. I also will put the co2 later.

Back