• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Chocolate Espresso Stout :your thoughts

OsabaMark

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm brewing this at the weekend, I'd appreciate any feedback on my recipe. And, what's the best /easiest way to add the coffee? Thanks in advance.
Pale Malt 5kg / 11 lbs
Crystal 20 500g / 1 lb
Roasted Barley 500g / 1 lb
Flaked Oats 400g / 14oz
Crystal 150 200g / 7oz

Hops
Chinook 15g /. 5 Oz  60min
Chinook 30g / 1 oz  15 min
EK Goldings 30g / 1 oz 5min

Misc.
Cocoa Powder 225g / 8 oz  15 min
Barley Malt Syrup  1L / 1 Qrt  15 min
Coffee 1 pint -  Secondary
Brown Sugar 140g /4.9 oz

Sounds like it's going to be a good stout.  I would take another look at your IBU:SG ratio, you may want to punch up the hops just a tad to balance it out.  I might use a full ounce, or at least 0.75 Oz of the Chinook at 60 and drive the ratio up a bit.  The coffee should bring a bit of bitterness.  I would add the cocoa powder to the coffee grinds when you brew up the coffee addition.  I have done that in the past and it worked for me.

Good Luck

I brew up a pot of Millstone Velvet Chocolate coffee and add it to taste at bottling or kegging time.  You get the coffee and the chocolate both.  I've found it to work very well...!

Back