• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

IBUs from 15 min hop addition

jtoots

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a recipe for a red ale attached.  When I'm looking at it on my PC, the IBUs are 24.6, with the 15 min addition contributing a total of 4.2 IBUs.  I've uploaded it to the cloud and when I'm looking at it on my phone, it comes in at 47.9 IBUs with 23.9 IBUs coming from the 15 min addition.  My equipment profiles, as far as I can tell, are identical on both PC and phone.  Pretty stock all grain setup, haven't changed the efficiency from 72% yet as I'm about a half dozen AG batches in.

Any thoughts on the inconsistency here and why I'm seeing it?  I'm fairly confident the 24.6 IBU is correct (or, at least, closer to it).

While you're at it, any other feedback on the recipe is welcome :)

Thanks!!

Jay

Attachments

• Mt. Top Red.bsmx
    22.5 KB · Views: 183
I think the difference is between the Tinseth scale (48.8 IBU's) and the Garetz scale (24.6 IBU's).  I think it's calculating differently based on your set up for bitterness.

Here is the help page for getting that setting correct.  Since it's an all grain recipe, you'll probably be getting about 48.8 IBU's.

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/BeerSmith2/help/index.html?adjusting_bitterness_of_a_reci.htm

Back