• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

reducing alcohol levels

gmcginty

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to brew Jamil's Trigo Oscuro (recipe from Beersmith), a Dunkelweizen beer however the alcohol content is about 6.5% and I would like it to be around 5%.
I could simply reduce one of the major grains however I'm concerned that will dramatically change the recipe taste etc. Any advice on the best way to do this would be appreciated. I though maybe reduce all grains by x% until I got to 5%...but not sure.
regards
greg

All you have to do is double click on the Est Original Gravity bar and adjust the number downward.  Each 4 gravity points is approximately a half percent of alcohol. This will adjust the grain in the recipe to accommodate the new gravity target.

Then you can raise the mash temp a couple of degrees to increase the body.

brewfun said:
All you have to do is double click on the Est Original Gravity bar and adjust the number downward.  Each 4 gravity points is approximately a half percent of alcohol. This will adjust the grain in the recipe to accommodate the new gravity target.

Then you can raise the mash temp a couple of degrees to increase the body.

Brewfun...Would you suggest adjusting the bitterness down slightly?

Scott Ickes said:
Brewfun...Would you suggest adjusting the bitterness down slightly?

That's up to the brewer. If it's just a few IBUs it might not be worth the change. The important thing to remember in that case is that BeerSmith will only adjust the hop amounts that contribute IBUs. So, zero minute or dry hop additions need to be addressed individually.

Back