• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Colour Calculations

T

Trev

G'day Brad,

I have in front of me a couple of different liquid extracts. One of them, a Light LE proudly says on the label "6 EBC in 23 litres".

Now if I add this extract to my recipe, and set the batch size at 23litres, the expected colour field comes at at '4'.

If I use an extract with say an EBC of "3 in 23 litres" then it comes out at 3.

I had a look at the methodology for colour calcs in the help file and I follow why at low levels of extract colour the expected colour is about the same as a result of the x^y equation.

If I want to be a bit consistant, should I adjust the extract clour value to something higher (ie if the can says "6 EBC in 23 L" then I actually make it 10 or 11 in the recipe so the calc' value says 6)?

Ooops, just realised I use colour rather than color :) - can't help a 'downunder upbringing ;D

Thanks,
Trev

Trev,
 How much are you adding to 23 liters? I'm interested in trying this out for myself to try to back out what method the manufacturers might be using to calculate color.  

Brad

Brad,

All I've done from a recipe formulation point of view is have a single ingedient of 1.5kg of Amber malt extract in a 23L batch, no other malts/hops etc. Effectively I was working backwards from the description on the can. If it said that it was 6EBC in 23L, then what value do I use in the color parameter for that malt for recipe manipulation.

Trev

Trev,
 Yes, I would just build a sample batch, add it and then back out the lovibond rating.

In this case it looks like 10-11 EBC is the correct color setting for the malt, which makes it pretty pale for a liquid malt.  This results in 6 EBC in 23 l.

Cheers!
Brad

Back