Author Topic: will not start "another copy running"  (Read 3241 times)

Offline zmilash

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
will not start "another copy running"
« on: October 14, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
So my copy of beersmith will not open.  I get a message that says "another copy of beersmith is running.  You may only run one copy at a time".....only problem is, I dont have another copy running.  I've restarted my computer (macbook osx 10.9.4) a few time to see if anything would happen and no luck.  This message started appearing after a system crash.  any help?

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: will not start "another copy running"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:18:33 PM »
  This is a fairly rare problem that has been tied to doing an operating system update while BeerSmith is still running on the Mac.

I recommend the following steps as a first fix:
   - Make sure BeerSmith is not running
   - Go to your Home directory and delete the file "BeerSmith2-USERNAME" if it exists where USERNAME is your user name- this lock file usually causes the problem
   - Reboot your machine

Let me know if this does not work - in most cases I've found this corrects the issue.
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline thamm2389

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: will not start "another copy running"
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »
This happened to me today. I rebooted my Macbook (osx 10.11.4) and that successfully released the lock. However, upon reopening I was prompted for the Activation key. After activation, I noticed that it was like a fresh copy of BeerSmith. All of my recipes, equipment profiles, Add-Ons, etc. were gone. I checked the BeerSmith2 folder under Documents and it appears as if it uninstalled itself during the reboot.

I stupidly never backed up my BeerSmith files. Fortunately, I saved my good recipes to the BS cloud and was able to easily log in and copy them (and the equipment profiles) back to the local folders. I just need to re-add all of my local yeasts/ingredients.