• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting Grain for different SRM?

gboysko

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello:

I use Roasted Barley in my recipes, but I have a different SRM/Lovibond value than what is listed in BeerSmith. Mine is 700-800 SRM, whereas the one in BeerSmith is 300 SRM.

First, does it matter in recipe calculations?

Second, if it does, can I change the SRM rating on a grain to reflect what I have actually purchased?

Thanks,
Glenn

Sure, you can change it. You can change it inside the recipe by double-clicking on it. Or you can change it in your grain inventory then add it to a new recipe.

It makes the picture of the beer glass change colors I think and the slider for the beer style changes as well.

gboysko said:
I use Roasted Barley in my recipes, but I have a different SRM/Lovibond value than what is listed in BeerSmith. Mine is 700-800 SRM, whereas the one in BeerSmith is 300 SRM.

First, does it matter in recipe calculations?

Second, if it does, can I change the SRM rating on a grain to reflect what I have actually purchased?

Adding the grain as a new item is probably the best way to keep track of it now and in future recipes.

Does it matter for recipes? For color, not really. It'll take a bit less to get to 30 SRM, but once you are that dark, black is black.

For flavor and consistency: YES! It certainly does matter. Different roasts can go from chocolaty and coffee-like to harsh, charred and burnt, in a hurry. I wouldn't consider a 500 lovibond Roast barley to be interchangeable with one at 750.

The US made roast barleys tend to be a bit lighter (300-400 SRM) than their English cousins (500-600 SRM). I don't have any roast or black malts darker than 650 SRM in my database, so I can't say what the flavor is like when it's that dark.

When thinking about malts for a recipe, I balance the need for flavor (use more of it) with the need for just color (use less of something darker). For instance, I have a Porter that needs a little char flavor, but at the point it has the right color, the flavor is harsh. So, I back it off and add Carafe malt to deepen the color. OTOH, I have a red ale that uses just the slightest bit of Carafe (<1%) to gain a deep red color instead of orange from dark caramel malt.

Excellent. Thanks for all of the great advice. I guess I'm just wondering how to fill in the rest of the required fields for this new grain. I don't know that the label has these properties. Maybe some online grain database?

gboysko said:
I don't know that the label has these properties. Maybe some online grain database?

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_SmokedMalt.pdf

yes, each maltster has a site with details, and there are a few distributors/importer sites that point to lots of the maltster sites.  I just used this page to enter this malt y-day.

Back