• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Why lager belgian ales?

xlev

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys

I just started getting intrested in brewing Belgian Trappist ales. I have read "Brew like a Monk" and they mention that a lot of the beers go through a lagering process. Its mentioned that for example Westvleteren 8 is lagered for about 8 weeks, Westvleteren 10 for 10 weeks, and Westvleteren 12 for 12 weeks.

Does anyone know why do they lager the ales? It can't be just to get the yeast out of suspension, because you don't need lager for such a long time to achieve that, so it has to be doing something to the flavour. Does anyone have a scientific explanation of what is going on during the lagering process?

Cheers

Alex

xlev said:
Does anyone have a scientific explanation of what is going on during the lagering process?

A scientific explanation would take way too long. How about a flavor based explanation, instead?

Essentially, the flavor compounds and associated higher alcohols mellow and change with time. Oxygen, temperature and yeast play roles in this flavor development. This process goes on in the bottle, too. A Westy 12 straight out of the Monastary is good, but isn't as good as a 3 year old bottle.

This isn't a rule of thumb for all Belgian beers, though. There are a lot of them that taste better fresh than age. Chimay White is one of those, for me.

Don't call it lagering call it cold conditioning.
From John Palmer:
"Towards the end of secondary fermentation, the suspended yeast flocculates (settles out) and the beer clears. High molecular weight proteins also settle out during this stage. Tannin/phenol compounds will bind with the proteins and also settle out, greatly smoothing the taste of the beer. This process can be helped by chilling the beer, very similar to the lagering process. In the case of ales, this process is referred to as Cold Conditioning, and is a popular practice."

I'm gonna stick with storing them all cold, in a cave, for some time :D

Ordered the book today. Thanks for mentioning it. 

Thank for the replies guys, appreciate it. Will give it a crack in a month.

Cheers

Back