• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug in Double Infusion Step Mashes

F

FlyGuy

If I select to use a Double Infusion for a multi-rest mash, why do the subsequent infusion (i.e. saccharafication and mash-out) temperatures vary depending on whether I select to Adjust Temps for Equipment?  Isn't the purpose of this option to skip pre-heating your mash tun by infusing with hotter water on the FIRST infusion? 

I guess what I am asking is once the first infusion rest is complete, why would additional temperature adjustments be required?  I would have thought that the temperature of additional water infusions would be the same (regardless of the Adjust Temp of Equipment option) once the mash tun is heated on the first infusion.

If I understand the question correctly,  your mashtun still has a thermal mass that needs to be accounted for, This is what the adjustment is for.  If it was a perfect insulator (no heat required to raise the mashtuns temperature) you would not need the adjustment.

Fred

I wondered about that, but why would this only be accounted for if you aren't pre-heating your tun?  If there was going to be a correction for the amount of infusion water needed to raise the temp of the grains and mash tun, whether or not you pre-heat your tun should be irrelevant in my mind.

Fred, I followed-up with your reply and looked at how the Temp Adjustment option changes multi-step infusion temps.  You are correct that, with the option enabled, it corrects for the thermal mass of the tun.  (I verified this by changing the mash tun mass within the recipe, and saw that it also influenced the infusion temps.)

So now my question becomes, is it possible to correct for mash tun volume in your infusion mashes WITHOUT adjusting the first infusion?  I prefer to pre-heat my mash tun (saves time), but I still want to benefit from the correction to infusion temps. 

Also, if you have the Temp Adjustment option disabled, won't all your subsequent infusions fail to reach the appropriate mash temp?

Thanks!

Hi,
  No - unfortunately if you adjust the temperature for the first step it does so for all steps (or does not if unchecked).  There is currently no way to turn off the adjustment for the first step and then turn it on again for the latter steps.  Perhaps this could be a future option?

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks for the reply, Brad.  I think it would be nice in a future release if the software could make adjustments to temperature of step infusions/mash outs based on equipment, but independent of whether or not your pre-heat your mash tun.

In the meantime, I will be sure to enable the temp adjustment option when using multiple-infusion step mashes/mash-outs and ignore the extra temp required to heat that mash tun in the first water addition.

P.S. Really like the new version! Thanks again.

Back