• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

what can you do

mickles

Apprentice
Reaction score
just had a brew day which went well and I was pleased with then I realised I forgot to put Irish moss in last part of boil
but already put in fermenter with yeast  so do I throw away and re do it all or is there anything I can do ?

All the Irish moss does is help to clear the beer. Half the time I don't even use it.

Worst case scenario you get cloudy beer that tastes and smells exactly like it would have if you had remembered the Irish moss.

It's not a big deal.  Rack it to a secondary and you'll leave just about everything behind that the irish moss would have kept out of the primary!

Scott's right.  No big deal. 
I have never used Irish Moss and never had a cloudy beer.  The couple of times I was a little concerned about it I cold crashed in the frig for 3-4 days prior to bottling to let everything settle.

I question the value of it.
For my last batch of red ale I skipped the irish moss. It's crystal clear with a beautiful red hue.
I think a very thorough vorlauf combined with a two day cold crash does more for your clarity than irish moss.

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
I question the value of it.

Skipping Irish Moss doesn't hurt anything.

When the outcome of the beer is acceptable, IM isn't needed. IM doesn't create hot or cold break, all it does is create a charged surface area for the break to adhere to and settle more quickly and completely.

The test is with chill haze. The more you have of it that won't settle with reasonable time (a week or so), the more you'll benefit from IM. Stone Brewing went through several months of slightly hazy IPA that was caused by an unintentional reduction in the amount of IM used.

Most of the time, chill haze is related to tannins and cold break. Part of the creation of cold break is how fast the wort can be chilled. The faster wort can be chilled to >70 F (20C), the more effective cold break is, resulting in clearer beer.

So, with a vigorous boil, whirlpool and swift chill, IM can be reduced or eliminated if the brewer thinks the results are acceptable.

Back