• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Vanilla Bourbon Porter

BeerNut

Brewer
Reaction score
I just brewed a Robust Porter, 2.5 gallon all grain batch.  I was planning on adding two vanilla beans in the secondary and some bourbon soaked oak chips.  Problem is I can't readily find vanilla beans locally, and ordering them online requires me to buy a lifetime supply.  I can get vanilla bean paste or use a really quality extract.  Has anyone tried either of these?  I appreciate any comments.

Don't know if this translates over to beer, but Ive used Madagascar beans that you find on Amazon in mead several times.  To me its a  vanilla that turns a little nutmeggy but still pretty great.  For a solo vanilla that really lasts if that's what your after try McCormicks. 2 judges asked me for the bean.  I used 1 bean in 2 gal mead for 2 weeks

Attachments

• Here's the bean.jpg
    Here's the bean.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 511
I get my vanilla beans at the local homebrew store.  They have them at Winco, Whole Foods and most grocery stores.  However, the ones at the homebrew store are less expensive than Winco, which I found to be ironic.  I like the ones from the homebrew store better.

Also, homebrew internet suppliers have them.  Three beans from MoreBeer are $5.99.

Thanks, for whatever reason I never thought trying an online homebrew.  The groceries around me don't have whole beans and my local home-brew doesn't either. 

Back