• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

MashTun Deadspace

bornredi

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am having trouble with the amount into my boil pot. I always overshoot the amount I shouls have so my pre-boil gravity is off. My mash Tun is  a keg with a false bottom from sabco. How do i enter the the information in equipment so I have the right grain to water ratio. I have about 1 Gallon under the false bottom.

Hi,
  I think you would set it up with a lauter tun deadspace of 1 gallon (since your mash tun is also your lauter tun) and then mark your boiler so you can stop at the appropriate boil volume once you have sparged enough water in the boiler.  One nice way to measure volume in the boiler is to cut notches in your spoon or a dipstick at various premeasured volumes so you can check the volume at a glance.  If you take a gravity reading on the boiler at this point (adjusting for temperature of course), this should give you a clear idea of the efficiency you are getting into the boiler.

Cheers!
Brad

I have been adding 1 gal to my lauter tun deadspace but not stopping transferring when I reach the right amount, so I have been overshooting by about 1 gall. and then need to boil a lot off to reach my figured org. gravity.  I guess another way is to put the loss to lauter turn to '0' and then add 1 gallon or so from my liquor tank, that way all the figures should be correct?

Back