• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Partial mash: ingredients amount and meaning of mash addiction

[email protected]

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi everybody, Luca from Italy.
I have already installed the iPhone /iPad release of beersmith but having some doubts about the amount of ingredients of recipe.
For example the "A toast to your health nut brown" is a recipe for about 21l of beer, if I want 10l of beer how can I do: a simple proportion for both grain, hops and extract (weigh of grain/21 then x 10)?

Addiction mash is this process: water at 70C (or the recipe one) then the grain (e.g. In a bag) for the time of the recipe?

thanks luca

BeerSmith has a tool for adjusting the volume of your recipe. You could do a simple proportion, but what's the fun in that?

Lots of good instructional videos at:    http://beersmith.com/features/

Hello,
thank you very much for your answer.
durrettd said:
but what's the fun in that?
Because I can test several recipes without producing liters and liters of beer.

Can you please ask to my question about mash addiction?
I think I have understood and in Italy we talk about "infusion"
Thank you

Hello,
thank you very much for your answer.
durrettd said:
but what's the fun in that?
Because I can test several recipes without producing liters and liters of beer.

Can you please ask to my question about mash addiction?
I think I have understood and in Italy we talk about "infusion"
Thank you

When I said, "What's the fun in that?" I was referring to my addiction to using a computer for things that don't necessarily require a computer. In other words, a simple proportion will work fine, but I use a computer. The computer will adjust for losses that are constant regardless of the batch size, but it's easy to correct for those manually.

Speaking of computers, I taught computer science and networking in high school for about 15 years where I learned to use sarcasm frequently, sometimes without thinking. I agree with your philosophy of making small test batches - because "I can test several recipes without producing liters and liters of beer." Please excuse me if I caused any offense with my unintentional sarcasm.

I don't understand your use of the term "mash addiction"; it sounds like we have a translation problem. I also use the term, "infusion" to refer to the addition of hot water to raise the temperature of a mash. For me, it's MUCH easier to let the computer calculate that than trying to do it manually. I suspect that if I spoke Italian your question would be more obvious to me, but I'm limited to English, French, and some very basic Canadian. Oops, the sarcasm slipped out again.

Let's keep the conversation going until we figure this out. Maybe someone else who speaks Italian can help out.

Hi durrettd,
Don't worry about your sarcasm, you didn't offend me at all  :).
This is what I get from the recipe:

0 min - Add Ingredients
2.72 kg - Extra Light Dry Extract - Mash addition (77.4%) - 5.9 EBC
28.3 g - Goldings, East Kent - Boil 60 min (16.3 IBUs)
30 min - Add Ingredients
28.3 g - Goldings, East Kent - Boil 30 min (12.5 IBUs)
55 min - Add Ingredients
28.3 g - Fuggles - Boil 5 min (2.9 IBUs)
1:00 hours - End of Boil

in red my doubt.

Maybe it can be a very stupid thing, but confuses me.

Back