• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Frozen beer

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I was gone for a few days and when I came back I decide to have a nice home brew. Pulled on the tap for some "ginger Pale Ale" and nothing happened. I moved on to the next keg and tried to pull a glass of Red Ale, nothing happened. The first thing I checked was CO2 pressure and it seemed to be where I wanted it. Then I looked at my temp regulator and I was at 1 degree below freezing C, I normally keep it at about 2C.  I have a four keg system and the two kegs that were getting near empty were partially froze. The two full kegs seemed to pour ok. Now, after all that, can this beer be salvaged? I've brought the temp up to about 4C and letting it warm up. I have been able to draw off the two worse kegs but I'm getting a darker beer then it was and it appears to have a bigger kick. Any experience on this, can I just wait for the full thaw and all will be fine or am I stuck with two ruined brews? I usually drink my mistakes, but I'd be glad to wait it out because both of these brews were really good 5 days ago.

My guess would be that since alcohol freezes at a lower temp than water, as your beersicle warms up the alcohol is drawn off first. since you have removed only a portion of the concoction you have probably permanently changed the beer. I suggest not drawing off any more until you're sure it is completely thawed, then agitate the keg gently to be sure components that may have separated in the freezing get re combined . Like most foods, freezing will change it a little but it should still be drinkable, might even make an interesting conversation with your friends

Isn't this how an Eisbock is made? Freezing the beer then removing the ice? Did the taste change much in the one you tried?

The taste did change. Much "heavier" tasting then before the freeze. I'm gonna let it sit until Sunday, with some agitation between now and then and see what happens.

Back