• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

multiple brewing sessions using same recipe

juskojj

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm curious how do you save multiple brewing sessions information using the same recipe? Say I brew a chocolate stout on 4 Nov 14 and then again on 4 Dec 14 but want to record all the needed information like temps, SG, ect... for each specific brew but I don't change the ingredients. Do you have to give the recipe a new name every time you brew?

I have recipes that are in my rotation (I brew them all the time!).  To create a new version (I organize identical recipes brewed on different days by date).  So, to create a new version, I right click once on the original recipe, bringing up a window.  I then left click on 'copy' in that window.  I left click once again, but away from the recipes (off to the right), so that there are no longer any recipes highlighted.  I then right click away from the recipes and a window pops up again and I left click on 'paste'.

By doing this I now have two identical versions of the earlier recipe.  I then change the date to my later date on one of the recipes and I now have two versions, with only the dates being different (the older date is my previous brew and the newer day is my new brew session).  I can then get rid of notes, measurements taken, etc. in that later version and I have a clean version to put all of my new information in for the later brew day of the exact same beer.

thanks, but sorry i wasn't clear i was wondering if there was a way in the mobile app. what your describing sounds like the desktop version.

I don't use or even have the mobile version, so I'm not qualified to assist you with this.

resurrecting as I too brew this way--main recipe, many brew sessions--and I like recording details/notes from each session.  Is there a way to do this on the mobile version (besides changing the name of the recipe--like adding brew date)?  under this feature, it would also be nice to be able to link estimated dates to steps--like the date to transfer to secondary/start lagering.  any ideas on how this could be done on the mobile app?

edit: also, under brew session, there are several measurements I don't take (yet) such as mash run-off gravity (i batch sparge) and mash run off ph.  similarly, there is an entry for gravity after primary--i might occasionally take this but if don't, it looks like i did.  having the option to enter these readings is fine but as it is currently set up, it reads like I took the measurement and entered the data.  there should be a box to check to indicate if it is an estimate or an actual. 

Thanks for the feedback - Currently there is no differentiation between session and recipe, so you should have separate recipes if you want to record different sessions.  Some people do this by maintaining different version numbers in the recipes while others prefer to rename such as "Irish Stout 1", "Irish Stout 2" etc...

Regarding measurements I agree it would be nice to have these set to a "unset" state.  I'm working on ways to do this for a future version.

Thanks,
Brad

Back