Author Topic: What's in your yeast bank?  (Read 8885 times)

Offline Brewmex41

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Pint of View Brewing Co
What's in your yeast bank?
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:14:27 AM »
Just took a look at the different yeasts I have in the fridge, and I am curious as to how many different yeasts you all have in your stock right now.
I'll start:
Rogue Pacman, my personal fav. I brew lots of dipas and this yeast will get me into the 80s for %attenuation no problem
Us-05, a classic!Kolsch ale yeast, good for brewing in colder weather
London ESB yeast, havent tasted anything i've brewed with this yet, as none of it is ready to go.
Bohemian Lager yeast currently in a 1 gallon starter batch of beer, going to try my hand at some Lager brewing now.
and a packet of Champagne yeast I bought but havent used yet.

I also had some Belle Saison, nottingham, and San Fran Lager yeast but I cant for the life of me figure out where they ended up after I moved.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Click on the homebrewing tab to redirect!

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
Re: What's in your yeast bank?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:00:54 PM »
I don't tend to keep a lot of yeast but I've got a couple of packets of Mangrove Jacks lager yeast. I've also got some WLP029 Kolsch and some WLP007 Dry English which is my favourite strain. I tend to buy all my ingredients a couple of days before I brew.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline BeerNut

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Beer, Beer, Glorious Beer.....
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
WLP 029 Kolsch/German Ale hybrid, US-05, S-04, WLP02 English Ale, Nottingham.

these are my go to varieties.
"This is grain... which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about..... beer."

Drinking vanilla porter, 90 IPA, 60 IPA, Irish Red Braggot. On Deck hefeweizen, Irish Red, Steam

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 01:51:11 AM »
I keep yeast around to save money. There are a lot of yeasts I like to use that dont come in dry form.
My favorite, like I mentioned, is the Rogue Pacman yeast. Instead of spending $7.50 per brew, I build a starter bigger than I need. I will pitch what I need and save the rest in a mason jar for later.
Since I do a lot of IPAs and other hoppy beers, spending between 2.50-4 bucks per oz of hops, my brews are already pretty spendy as it is, so to save that money on yeast helps. I also buy base malt and the most common hops i use in bulk, like Columbus, Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 03:28:19 AM »
I've never thought of making a starter and saving some for later. It's a great idea. Do you use a stir plate? How long will it last in the fridge?
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
I use a growler and shake it every time I walk by it.
I usually do 150g to 1.5 liters of water. Since i know i am going to brew pretty much every weekend, I will make a starter about a week in advance. Once its done fermenting, ill put it in the fridge until brew day. Then I will take it out, decant some of the starter wort into a mason jar, swirl the liquid and the slurry together and pitch what I need, then the rest will go into the mason jar. Since I use it for another starter, it should be fine in there for quite a while.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
spending between 2.50-4 bucks per oz of hops

That's crazy! Go to http://www.hopsdirect.com/ and buy them by the pound. I paid less than twenty bucks a pound last time I stocked up.  And that included shipping.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
I buy bulk hops when I can. The most common ones i use are Columbus, centennial, Simcoe, nelson sauvin and magnum. I can't really afford the upfront cost to buy all those by the pound at once so I buy what I can in bulk, then buy by the oz as needed.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
Oh, and I usually get hops from Yakima Valley Hops. Good prices and Yakima is only a few hours drive away from where I live, so shipping is real quick!
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Offline Dmmflys

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »
I use a growler and shake it every time I walk by it.
I usually do 150g to 1.5 liters of water. Since i know i am going to brew pretty much every weekend, I will make a starter about a week in advance. Once its done fermenting, ill put it in the fridge until brew day. Then I will take it out, decant some of the starter wort into a mason jar, swirl the liquid and the slurry together and pitch what I need, then the rest will go into the mason jar. Since I use it for another starter, it should be fine in there for quite a while.

I've done the same thing a few time and added clean wanted to the mason jar to fill up the rest of the head space. Don't know if it's necessary or not read it somewhere. In your experience how long do they keep? I haven't had the guts to use any as I'm always worried bout it being "expired". 

Offline Dmmflys

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
I buy bulk hops when I can. The most common ones i use are Columbus, centennial, Simcoe, nelson sauvin and magnum. I can't really afford the upfront cost to buy all those by the pound at once so I buy what I can in bulk, then buy by the oz as needed.

How do you store your hops?  Please comment on my post " [BSHB] Preserving and Storing Hops " I'd be very interested in any comments you might have. Thanks

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
I don't know how long they last because i use them pretty quick. Usually no more than a month before i make another starter.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 12:44:55 PM »
I've used harvested yeast up to six months after harvesting.  After 1 month, I make a starter well enough in advance.  Less than one month, and I'm not too worried about them.  Heck, I harvested the dregs from the bottom of bottles of a previous beer  that I've made, so that I can make it again, without paying for the yeast.  I start about 2 weeks in advance when I do this.  That yeast was WLP300 and had been in the bottle for 7 months when I harvested it.

I've only had one starter made from harvested yeast that didn't take off out of about 75 batches.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »
I feel much safer about brewing when I prepare a starter in advance and know it is viable yeast. I keep a packet of us 05 at all times just in case something goes wrong, or if i accidentally kill the yeast or whatever might happen.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
I keep a packet of us 05 at all times just in case something goes wrong, or if i accidentally kill the yeast or whatever might happen.

Same here.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson