• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Conditioning in the keg

Slackjawls

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a five gallon batch of oatmeal stout that has been fermenting for 10 days.  The bubbles are 5 minutes apart.  If I rack it to the keg, will it continue to condition?  My fridge stays around 40. 

My suggestion is to take gravity readings. Once you get stable readings three days in a row, it's good to keg it. However, if it were mine, I would wait even longer. I'm never in a hurry to keg or bottle.

Slackjawls said:
...........will it continue to condition? 

Yes, but much of the early "conditioning" is done by the yeast cleaning up by-products that occur in every fermentation.  So even when bubbles decrease, and even when gravity readings are stable, good things are happening that we don't necessarily "see" in the vessel.  Moving the "unconditioned" beer off the majority of the yeast that does that cleaning is counter-productive.  All else equal, three weeks in primary is a good thing. 

Thanks for the good info.  I'll leave it in the primary for another week to ten days.  I sampled it today.  The gravity is close to what the recipe suggests it will finish at but it tastes pretty green.

Back