• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

[BSHB] Preserving and Storing Hops

Dmmflys

Apprentice
Reaction score
i just got done reading your article "[BSHB] Preserving and Storing Hops" and enjoyed it as Brad posted it at the right time for me. I brewed a batch that required a few different hops all less than an oz and so I had left over hop pellets I didn't want to go to waist.
After some other research here's what I came up with:
1. Buy reusable "Ziplock" type Mylar storage bags (Amazon has them in all kinda sizes) with oxygen absorption packs
2. Pack hops in Mylar bag and don't forget to put in the O2 absorption pack squeeze out as much air as possible zip the bag shut.
3. At this point to properly seal the Mylar bag it must be heat sealed, however, they are expensive so I skip this step so I can continue to reuse them. And instead place the Mylar bag in a vacuum sealer bag and seal that bag with the vacuum sealer.
4. Label with hop kind and both date on original package and date i reseated it.
5. Place in freeze.

Additions, comments, concerns? All are welcome let me know.

Right now I have about 10 oz of bulk Simcoe hops still in the original bag. It's not good practice to do that but I have plans to use them all up within the next few weeks. I typically weigh out 1 oz and put them in food saver vacuum sealed bags and label them.

Back