• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Unmalted white wheat?

L

Llarian

What're people using as a Beersmith ingredient for unmalted white wheat? 

I'm guessing flaked would be closer than wheat malt, but Beersmith doesn't have just a basic raw wheat ingredient as it comes, and I'm having a hard time finding any data on its potential and other metrics.  (Although I suspect the potential is the only one that matters much)

-D

The most common unmalted wheat used by brewers are torrified (though I personally prefer flaked wheat).  Both are already in the database.  Unmodified wheat would have a potential of approximately 77-79% and a color of around 1.7 SRM.

Brad

Hm, ok.  I'll try the recipe with torrified or flaked next time and see what the results are. 

Perviously I was just using raw white wheat.  The recipe did turn out quite well, although the efficiency was a bit low.  I'll see if one of the above provides better extraction.

Thanks,
D

I use rolled wheat which is very much like the standard rolled oats used for porridge.  I bring this stuff to a boil to gelatinize it then add to the mash.

Back