• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

no bubbles...

DeputyDog

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys. Thanks for all the advice on the last couple posts I've made. Im on my 5th batch of beer. 2,3,4 turned out alright, with #4 actually being complimented by my buddies.
But I've run into a problem with this #5. After 15hrs I havent noticed any bubbles in the airlock.  It is getting colder out so my basement is harder to regulate the temperature but its still at 70 when I checked this morning.
The only thing different I did this run is I used a glass carboy I got from my brother in law who makes wine. The stopper seems to have fit so I dont think its the problem.
Could it be my yeast?
Any advice would be great.
Thanks everybody

patience my friend... 15 hrs isn't quite long enough.  check back in and let us know how it's lookin at 36 hrs or so.  it'll probably get going at or after 24 hrs.

My last batch was a Belgian Saison and it took 36 hours to get going.  Once it did, it went great.  Yeasties sometimes have a mind of their own.  I agree.  Patience is all you need.

My last batch was a lager which took nearly a week to start. It then took three weeks to get from 1060 to 1009. Its now lagering in a corny at 1C. It tastes great now and should be really smooth in about six weeks.

I have no patience .....
but thanks for the responses guys.  i'll wait and see what happens.
I guess....

DeputyDog said:
I have no patience .....
I guess....

Patience will come with time.  Wait until you taste a soured beer or an all Brett beer that you really like and decide to attempt one of those.  I brewed an Oud Bruin back in May.  It probably won't be ready for at least another year, maybe even longer.  I've got 20 gallons of soured and/or Brett beers going, all of which need 6 months at minimum to mature to the bottling or kegging stage.  My goal is to eventually bottle or keg 50 gallons of those types of beer per year and 150 gallons of clean beers.

Brewing is a journey.  We're each taking our own route.  Some of us are on the interstate and we're speeding along.  Some of us are on one lane country roads, taking our time. 

Then there are brewers like me.  Sometimes on that interstate making a quick turn around beer (a simple smash or amber or brown ale) that can be enjoyed immediately.  Then I take an off ramp at an interesting detour and try the slow road for a while (making Flanders Reds, Oud Bruins, Gose or Lambic).  Then I'll find a little town that I like and stay there for a while (making ESB's for a while or IPA's for a while).

My advice is to enjoy the particular road you're on at the time.  If you see an interesting detour, consider taking it.  I don't take all of the detours, just the ones that appeal the most to me.

In summary, take your time and enjoy this journey in the way that pleases you the most.

p.s.
Right now, you're in road construction.  You don't have any control of the speed you're going.  The yeast are in control....

Scott Ickes said:
DeputyDog said:
I have no patience .....
I guess....

Patience will come with time.  Wait until you taste a soured beer or an all Brett beer that you really like and decide to attempt one of those.  I brewed an Oud Bruin back in May.  It probably won't be ready for at least another year, maybe even longer.  I've got 20 gallons of soured and/or Brett beers going, all of which need 6 months at minimum to mature to the bottling or kegging stage.  My goal is to eventually bottle or keg 50 gallons of those types of beer per year and 150 gallons of clean beers.

Brewing is a journey.  We're each taking our own route.  Some of us are on the interstate and we're speeding along.  Some of us are on one lane country roads, taking our time. 

Then there are brewers like me.  Sometimes on that interstate making a quick turn around beer (a simple smash or amber or brown ale) that can be enjoyed immediately.  Then I take an off ramp at an interesting detour and try the slow road for a while (making Flanders Reds, Oud Bruins, Gose or Lambic).  Then I'll find a little town that I like and stay there for a while (making ESB's for a while or IPA's for a while).

My advice is to enjoy the particular road you're on at the time.  If you see an interesting detour, consider taking it.  I don't take all of the detours, just the ones that appeal the most to me.

In summary, take your time and enjoy this journey in the way that pleases you the most.

p.s.
Right now, you're in road construction.  You don't have any control of the speed you're going.  The yeast are in control....
That's the most poetic description I've ever heard... Beautiful really

Shucks....thank you...

It's just my way of understanding why I make certain beers at certain times.

Back