Author Topic: Thermometer  (Read 5011 times)

Offline Slobrew

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Thermometer
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
Are any of you guys thrilled with the thermometers in your brew or mash pots. I'm using SS 8 gallon pots for both mash/brew  and I just don't trust my thermometers. I've already changed out the one that came with the mash pot and the new one is better but certainly not good enough.

I think they are mounted too low on the pot and are picking up excessive heat from my gas burner. BUT that is what the pots were made to do so I would have expected the thermometers to meet the task. I don't center my pot over the burner any more but put it off center so the thermometers are a little further from the heat, but I still get erratic readings.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:50:50 AM by Slobrew »

Offline prj28

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • I like beer.
Re: Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »
I have three of these and wouldn't use anything else.

http://blichmannengineering.com/products/brewmometer
We are building a brewing system of extraordinary magnitude. We forge our system in the tradition of our ancestors. You have our gratitude.

KernelCrush

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 05:56:42 PM »
I use the dial therms on every vessel too, but only to determine when I am getting close and really need to pay attention.  Then I use a 17$ digital http://www.cdn-timeandtemp.com/product/proaccurate%C2%AE-thermometer.  It has been tested against others here https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/cdndtq450.htm

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:10:53 PM »

KernelCrush

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »
I have seen thermapen before, but for some reason thought it was a lot more expensive, maybe confused with a different one.  The IP65 rating is a plus.  Just had to replace my refractometer, pretty sure the old one failed cause it wasn't rated. 

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 03:45:17 AM »
The mash temperature is critical so I use a good quality digital food thermometer I bought in a cook shop. I don't bother with a thermometer in the boiler. As long as I can see a good rolling boil I'm happy.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
I have seen thermapen before, but for some reason thought it was a lot more expensive, maybe confused with a different one.  The IP65 rating is a plus.  Just had to replace my refractometer, pretty sure the old one failed cause it wasn't rated.

Yes, they are very proud of the actual Thermopen, usually $80-plus bucks.  I followed some link to that and shopped around on Accuracy and speed, and price, and this RT600C was on sale, so I talked some friends into making up five for the discount.  I tested all five before passing them out, and they were all the same in ice and in 155F water, and both my $10 Target/Walmart models were off from the five better ones. 

KernelCrush

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 11:10:28 AM »
I see now, Thermoworks makes the thermapen, and others like your RT600C.  I'll go that way when I break my CDN, and I will.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline Rayhas

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
I am reminded of the old saying, "A man with a watch always knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure." I think it may be the same with thermometers.

Offline bobo1898

• Instagram @bierdedbrewing
  • Beer Brewed By Men With Beards
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
I use a digital and an analog during the mash/sparge.  Good thing because I just found out the other week that the digital was way off and ended up pitching my yeast at a very high temp (I opted not to use the analog at the time).  I had to re-pitch.  The batch is still going but hopefully it'll come out.  I will be re-calibrating in the next few days.
PRIMARY
SECONDARY
ON DECK
   Wild Ale on Blackberries w/ Champagne yeast
   BA Sour Kolsch w/ Cherries
   Belgian Quad
SERVED/STILL ENJOYING
   Peach Cider
   Patersbier
   Wild Ale with Champagne yeast
   BA Espresso Milk Stout
   BA RIS