• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Thermometer

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Are any of you guys thrilled with the thermometers in your brew or mash pots. I'm using SS 8 gallon pots for both mash/brew  and I just don't trust my thermometers. I've already changed out the one that came with the mash pot and the new one is better but certainly not good enough.

I think they are mounted too low on the pot and are picking up excessive heat from my gas burner. BUT that is what the pots were made to do so I would have expected the thermometers to meet the task. I don't center my pot over the burner any more but put it off center so the thermometers are a little further from the heat, but I still get erratic readings.

I have three of these and wouldn't use anything else.

http://blichmannengineering.com/products/brewmometer

http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

My fave.

I have seen thermapen before, but for some reason thought it was a lot more expensive, maybe confused with a different one.  The IP65 rating is a plus.  Just had to replace my refractometer, pretty sure the old one failed cause it wasn't rated. 

The mash temperature is critical so I use a good quality digital food thermometer I bought in a cook shop. I don't bother with a thermometer in the boiler. As long as I can see a good rolling boil I'm happy.

KernelCrush said:
I have seen thermapen before, but for some reason thought it was a lot more expensive, maybe confused with a different one.  The IP65 rating is a plus.  Just had to replace my refractometer, pretty sure the old one failed cause it wasn't rated.

Yes, they are very proud of the actual Thermopen, usually $80-plus bucks.  I followed some link to that and shopped around on Accuracy and speed, and price, and this RT600C was on sale, so I talked some friends into making up five for the discount.  I tested all five before passing them out, and they were all the same in ice and in 155F water, and both my $10 Target/Walmart models were off from the five better ones. 

I see now, Thermoworks makes the thermapen, and others like your RT600C.  I'll go that way when I break my CDN, and I will.  Thanks for pointing it out.

I am reminded of the old saying, "A man with a watch always knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure." I think it may be the same with thermometers.

I use a digital and an analog during the mash/sparge.  Good thing because I just found out the other week that the digital was way off and ended up pitching my yeast at a very high temp (I opted not to use the analog at the time).  I had to re-pitch.  The batch is still going but hopefully it'll come out.  I will be re-calibrating in the next few days.

Back