• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

gift question

Ariando

Apprentice
Reaction score
Here come christmas . should I continue using hydrometer or be asking for a refractor? Basically should I be wanting to change?

I still use a hydro for the final 'authoritative" reading of OG, but also use a refractometer many more times during the brew to check gravity of wort.  Pre-boil, change during the boil, end of boil, SG of final runnings, SG of the leftover wort that I boil down and put in a pressure canner for starter wort, etc.  A refractometer is very useful during the brew day.

I went to a refractometer and I'm glad I did. I use it throughout the brewing process to give me an idea I'm on track for what I wanted to produce. By the time I get to the final reading I use the Hydrometer for info, but one way or the other the brew is getting drank

I went to a refractometer for use during all grain batches.  For final readings I go with my hydrometer.

Just received a replacement for one I ordered on line.  First one would not stay calibrated.  I only have had the refractometer for a short time.  I do 3 gal all grain batches so the the small sample size is good :) .  Not very much for tasting though :( .  Hated to give up a bottle or two of beer checking SG.  I will still double check FG with hydrometer.  Haven't used the refractometer on dark beers like stouts and porters but it's working well on the IPA in the secondary.

Just got a refractometer and I love it.  Plus it only needs a few drops.  They're right about accuracy for the final reading because refractometers only deal with sugar and water, not so much alcohol.

The reading pre-pitch is accurate, but your final reading will be a little tricky.  There are calculators to help determine your FG but you should know your wort correction factor:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor/

It says you should do 30 samples, but I don't know if that's necessary.  Basically you're going to do readings side by side with the refractometer and the hydrometer.  Make sure you do different batches.  I've read that 5 or 6 batches is enough but I'm sure it varies with whatever refractometer you decide on.

Just make sure you calibrate your refractometer for distilled water.

I made a point of buying an "automatic temperature correcting" (ATC) refractometer because I wanted to be able to measure during the boil and during fermentation.

My ATC refractometer does not automatically correct for temperature!

Simple solution: dip or drain a few drops into a thick glass or stainless container, let the sample sit a few seconds, drip onto the sample glass, and read the refractometer.

durrettd said:
Simple solution: dip or drain a few drops into a thick glass or stainless container, let the sample sit a few seconds, drip onto the sample glass, and read the refractometer.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Condiment-Cups/14964954

I love these s/s cups for just that.  And if you put some cold water/ice in a cereal bowl, it's cooled in seconds for a quick read. 

Back