• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg converted to Mash Tun

Pbfirish

Apprentice
Reaction score
Does anyone have a weight of keg converted into mash tun for entry into equipment profile.  The false bottom came from brew hardware if the weight of that is factored in.  The keg is not with me to weigh at the moment and I am trying to update my brewing equipment.  Thanks

29.7 lbs is what I've found for an empty keg and I will add an estimate for the false bottom and what not for the time being, not sure how critical this even is

Not too much; can be verified later. 

If you staying up late to do the equipment profile, spend the time on water measurements.  How much volume below the valve would be "lost" from transfers? 

How much volume is beneath the false bottom in the MLT that doesn't help soak grains?  those are the things that drive the critical numbers that help you get the strike water temperatures correct.  Just understand you're guessing the first time, and just take copious notes and tell BSmith everything you learned.  Each batch gets closer.

Back