• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash question

Pbfirish

Apprentice
Reaction score
So by increasing my ability to brew 15 gallon batches I now have a stainless steel 15.5 gallon keg as a mash tun as opposed to my 10 gallon cooler.  My three tier system is setup with a burner on all three tiers.  What is the benefit to doing step mashes as opposed to single infusion mashes.  Will I really notice any change in quality of beer?  Typically brewing IPA'S, stouts and porters.  Basically will it be more of a pain in the ass to add heat and try to hit temps vs drinking a beer while it sits there for an hour.  What do I gain in the end??

Pbfirish said:
Typically brewing IPA'S, stouts and porters. 

If you were doing German styles that were traditionally decocted, then some would argue it's a slight difference worth at least trying.  I was convinced I could taste the difference when a brewer friend was doing it both ways.  The mouthfeel just seemed rounder or fuller. 

Brewing what you're brewing, it's more about the hops or dark malts, so I'd say relax and shorten the brew day. 

I've done a single infusion mash and a step mash for the same recipe using MO. There was no noticeable difference so I normally stick with a single infusion. With pilsner malt I usually do a step mash because I believe I get a better conversion because my efficiency is slightly better. I can get floor malted Bohemian Pilsner malt and I understand that must have a step mash although I've never used it.

Back