• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Late extract additions with PM recipes?

BlindLemonLars

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the software, and was delighted by the release of v1.4 just a few weeks after I registered.  In particular, the late extract additions feature is very helpful for adjusting hops with different boil times.

One question: I'm gearing up for partial mash, and using Beersmith to convert my recipes. For extract recipes, the hop utilization calculations work fine...selecting "late boil addition" and a corresponding boil time shows the resulting change in the final IBUs. However, when the recipe type is set to partial mash, the software no longer compensates for late extract additions. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? (The latter seems more likely!)

Thanks!

Hi,
  It could be a bug - I need to do some more research.  I may have inadvertently set it to work with extract recipes and not partial mash.  Unfortunately I don't have the source code in front of me at the moment, but I will take a look at it over the weekend and see if I can correct this.  I'm a little surprised we missed it in the beta test, but it does appear there is a problem here.

Cheers!
Brad

Hmmm,
  It does look like a bug.  I will post another patch in a week or two - want to have a chance to consolidate any remaining bugs found so far.

Thanks,
Brad

First I'd like to add my thanks for the terrific program. Don't know where I'd be without it.

I just came across this bug when I tried to change my extract addition from after boil to 0mins.
My IBUs went from 37.7 to 16.8 !!

Thought I might mention it since it seems like a nice test to me.
Sorry to teach my grandmother to suck eggs and all that.

Anyway I will just continue to "add after boil" but actually add at 0 mins until the patch comes out.

Thanks again for the wonderful program and support.

Samantha

Samantha,
  Thanks for the tip - I think it may be that the "0 minute" case is creating some kind of artifact (divide by zero perhaps?) in the formula, as simply setting the boil time to 1 minute gives much more reasonable numbers.

I will take a close look and patch it shortly.  In the meantime, using 1 minute as the boil time is a reasonable alternative.

From a brewing perspective, I would recommend at least a 10-15 minute boil because you want to make sure you sterilize the extract and boiling it for less than 10 minutes may not result in full sterilization of the malt.

Cheers!
Brad

Also, you don't seem to be able to change the boil times for any sugars/grains.  For instance, I have a Tripel recipe that calls for a pound of Candi sugar to be added with 10 minutes left, but can't figure that into the recipe sheet.

dsean said:
Also, you don't seem to be able to change the boil times for any sugars/grains.  For instance, I have a Tripel recipe that calls for a pound of Candi sugar to be added with 10 minutes left, but can't figure that into the recipe sheet.

Thanks!
  Again - a failure of imagination on my part.  I imagined adding extracts late to reduce carmelization, but did not think of late sugar additions.  In most instances, carmelized sugar will not change the color so I did not think to allow for it. 

I will see if it is easy to incorporate this in the next patch!

Brad

All,
  I corrected this bug in build 31 - the latest download allows you to add late extracts to PM boils.

Cheers!
Brad

Back