• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Founders Breakfast Stout Clone

Pbfirish

Apprentice
Reaction score
I found this clone along the way and being from Grand Rapids area and having had my fair share of the real thing, I must say that this recipe is fairly spot on.  Couldn't have been happier with the beer.  Turned out amazingly close.  I did mash at 154 not 156 if that matters much..I also used MO for 2-row and the Kona was replaced with some ethiopan beans by local supply shop suggested and did and stir plate 2L starter

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Breakfast Stout Clone 3 5 gallon
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal 
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.087 SG
Estimated Color: 49.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
13 lbs 3.2 oz        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          Grain        1        76.2 %       
1 lbs 6.0 oz          Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                  Grain        2        7.9 %       
1 lbs                Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)              Grain        3        5.8 %       
12.0 oz              Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)              Grain        4        4.3 %       
9.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain        5        3.2 %       
7.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)  Grain        6        2.5 %       
1.00 oz              Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop          7        33.6 IBUs   
0.50 oz              Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop          8        5.5 IBUs     
2.50 oz              Dark, bittersweet bakers chocolate (Boil Flavor        9        -           
1.50 oz              Unsweetened Cocoa baking nibs (Boil  Flavor        10      -           
0.50 oz              Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min      Hop          11      0.0 IBUs     
2.00 oz              Sumatran Coffee (Boil 0.0 mins)          Other        12      -           
1.0 pkg              California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast        13      -           
0.50 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Primary 15.0 mins)      Other        14      -           
2.00 oz              Kona Coffee (Secondary 0.0 mins)        Other        15      -           

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 5.1 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                            Step Temperature    Step Time   
Mash In          Add 21.65 qt of water at 168.2 F        156.0 F              45 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 3.44 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just prior to flameout...like 5 minutes left, but I did pull wort out of boil kettle into a container and off flame and melt chocolate.  I added the nibs and chocolate to the removed wort and put right back in kettle to avoid any potential scorching....Sumatran coffee directly into kettle at same time...Kona in secondary.  I fermented 4 weeks @ 65, racked and added Kona, or in my case, Ethiopian substitute

I will also add that after kegging and on first tapping, i felt it was a bit heavy on cocoa and/or chocolate so I was thinking of scaling back but i did pull off of it before fully carbed....after a week on gas it was perfect and there is no way I would alter it.

I worked up a recipe with a few personal preference changes. I attached my version. I'm not going for a clone.

Attachments

• breakfaststout.pdf
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,083
Let me know how that turns out for you......I would love to play around with the coffee/expresso and see what happens.  I would be most curious about the hop changes as well.  I do plan to try one similar without coffee but with raspberry.chocolate and chili's or something heat....I love beer-making.

Just got my hands on Big Luscious...cant wait to try it

I'll try and let you know. I don't think I'll brew again until next year. Here's another Stout I did as my Christmas Beer.

Attachments

• chocolatemilkstout.pdf
    149.9 KB · Views: 527
I make a chocolate coffee stout.  I've tried just about every conceivable way of adding coffee and chocolate to my stouts (tootsie rolls, hersheys special dark chocolate, espresso, cold steeped coffee, coffee beans in the secondary, cocoa mix, etc, etc, etc. 

When adding coffee and chocolate both, the best way I've found so far is to add a fresh pot of Millstone Velvet Chocolate Coffee at the end of the boil.  Millstones version seems to have the best balance off chocolate to coffee in my opinion.  I've tried making it into espresso and using less, but my results were inconsistent and sometimes the coffee flavor was too bitter, with not enough chocolate.  The espresso version seemed to upset the chocolate coffees balance. 

When I don't want the coffee and just the chocolate, I use cacao nibs (3 ounces per five gallons in the secondary).

This batch was my first attempt at a chocolate coffee stout and hoped to come as close as possible to breakfast stout.  I did a lot of research on different ideas along the way and the brand of coffee you mentioned was a common favorite in many recipe's of this beer style.  There were a lot of suggestions to use a brewed pot of coffee.  That said, I couldn't have been happier with the beans, bakers chocolate and nibs used at flameout and the additional 2 oz of beans in secondary.  Several people who have sampled it have even thought it better than the real thing....ha!  This has given me dreams of grandeur lol.  I'm excited to play around with it and try different variations.

Pbfirish said:
I couldn't have been happier with the beans, bakers chocolate and nibs used at flameout and the additional 2 oz of beans in secondary.

Did you wind up using whole beans or ground coffee? I see references to ground coffee in other recipes but your phrase "2oz of beans" made me wonder if you used the beans whole.  Thanks!

Back