• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Holiday Brew-Ha-Ha questions

pudland

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All,

I brewed the Holiday Brew-Ha-Ha from the Beersmith software during a family gathering Saturday.

The only difference I made in the recipe was a 60 minute boil rather than a 45 minute boil.
The steeped specialty grains and the DME went in at "0".
The Columbus and Honey went in at 15 minutes.
The orange and spices went in at 20 minutes.
The Saaz went in at 5 minutes.
Flame out and chilled to 65* took about 15ish minutes.

Poured into an "ale" bucket, topped off with 1 1/2 gallons and started straining in to the primary.
I pulled a sample after about 2 gallons had gone into the primary.  It was on the thicker side.  We tasted the sample after measuring the SG and it was definitely sweet.  The sample almost looked as if it was congealing.

We didn't mix the top-off water in really well though either.  Bad on my part.

The original recipe states an estimated SG @ 1.051 and a measured @ 1.042.  I got a 1.095 @ 65*!!  Does anyone have experience brewing this batch?

Thanks!

Attachments

• holiday brew ha ha 1.jpg
    holiday brew ha ha 1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 531
  • holiday brew ha ha 2.jpg
    holiday brew ha ha 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 532
Oddball said:
Was it supposed to be a 10 gallon recipe?

The recipe called it out as 5 gallons. Looking at the 6 lbs of DME and 1 lb of honey, it should be in the .050 zone.

Back