• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help with Rogue Chocolate Stout

Boots1216

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am very new to home brewing, I recently bottled an extract oatmeal stout that I brewed that I added chocolate extract too in the fermenter. I emailed Rogue and asked for their advice prior to adding the extract, They took a few weeks to get back to me, but the responded with a recommended Clone recipe of their Chocolate stout. I feel like this recipe must be accurate if they suggested it to me. The problem is it is on Brew Toad. I tried entering it into Beersmith2 but I had some issues. For example, The recipe has the following

Mash steps
Step                     Heat Source Target Temp Time
Saccharification Rest Infusion           150.0 °F 60 min
Mash-Out                 Infusion           175.0 °F 15 min

As an extract brewer I only have a vague understanding of what this means, and I have no idea how to add it to beersmith. The reason Im posting here is that I hoped that someone with a little more knowledge could add this recipe to Beersmith and upload it to the cloud so that I could download it and convert it to extract. Here is a link to the recipe Rogue provided me. https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/rogue-chocolate-stout-clone

That is the Mash steps for all grain. If you selected Type Extract on your Beersmith recipe the Mash Tab is grayed out so you can ignore the mash because you are not doing one.

I was trying to enter it as An all grain recipe then convert to extract. If I enter just the grains and ignore the mash steps then convert it will still be accurate? What made me think I was missing something was that the IBU , SRM and I think gravity's were different than what brewtoad reported.

Replace the Great Western Premium 2-Row Malt with about 10.6 pounds of Malt Extract. You can adjust to LME amount to be 88% of the grain bill amount of pale malt x .8125 = amount of liquid malt extract.

Back