• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Proper Mash Profile for Dupont Saison Clone

drummertime

Apprentice
Reaction score
Fellow Homebrewers,
I am trying to dial in my equipment and mash profile using beersmith. I've brewed without using beersmith with the same all grain recipe and have had great success but really want to get things dialed in to beersmith. I've setup up my equipment profile. But using a homedepot 10 gal cooler (mash ton) I'm confused on which profile to use on beersmith for a Dupont Saison clone recipe. Here's a version of the clone recipe I want to use:
Prep
1. Make a yeast starter prior to brew day – this is especially critical if using the WY 3711.
2. On brew day, collect strike water and heat to approx. 156°F.
3. Mill the grains, or have it done for you at the shop

Mash & Sparge
1. Add all grains to strike water and mix to achieve a uniform temperature of approximately 148°F. Rest the mash at this temperature for 60 – 90 minutes.
While the mash rests, collect and heat sparge water.
2. When the mash rest is complete, heat it to 170 F for mashout.
3. Sparge and collect the wort in the boil kettle.

Boil
1. Bring the wort to a boil. Add 1 oz East Kent Goldings hops when the wort begins to boil, and boil for 60 minutes.
2. Add 0.5 oz of East Kent Goldings and 0.5 oz Styrian Goldings 15 minutes before the end of the boil.
3. Cool it!

Fermentation and beyond
1. Transfer the cooled wort to a sanitized fermenter, aerate well, and pitch yeast.
2. Depending on the yeast strain being used, aim for a fermentation temp no lower than 70°F, and possibly even above 80°F – consult the yeast lab’s specs for your strain. Depending on yeast strain and temp, primary should be completed in 7 to 30 days (remember, patient!).
3. Rack to a secondary fermenter (if desired), and dose with the dry hops – 0.25 oz East Kent Goldings and 0.25 oz Styrian Goldings. Leave the beer in contact with the dry hops for 5 days (or to your taste), then rack and package – aim for a high level of CO2 in the keg or bottle, between 2 and 3 vols.

What beersmith mash profile would you use to get good results using this recipe? I will be using a yeast starter with stir plate prior to brewing. I don't have a temp controlled fermenter so I'm hoping at a 68-70 degree range that the WY3711 will attenuate down to a 1.010 FG.
Thanks in advance!

Do you have a way to heat your mash to 168 for Mash Out? Unless you have a HERMS system of a heating coil you can't do it in a cooler. I would just use Beersmith's Single Infusion Light Body Batch Sparge profile and forget the Mash Out. If you can heat the mash in the cooler add the Mash Out step to the profile.

Back