• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

overshooting gravity

i guess i never thought of the first runnings getting caught in the welded portion and ball valve. i did stir for awhile but i could see it getting trapped in that part i will try a vorlauf of sorts next time in the kettle to pull that out and see where i sit at. thanks all for the help. i'm going to grab a new hydrometer just to cross that off the list as well. i will post results on next brew day which should be next sunday the 21st.

I am thinking you would have to be sampling 100% first runnings to get 1092, but you said you did stir it.  Kai's first wort table shows 1096 at your 1.25 qt/lb.  Try sampling from the top of your kettle next time after mixing?

Save your money on the hydrometer, if it read 0 your likely OK.  If you want you could do a 2 point calibration to eliminate the hydro as the problem.

Back