• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Total grains vs Mash grain wt

stansoid

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am fairly new into all grain brewing. I have been dabbling with some small 1 gallon batches using beersmith as a compass.

In my recipe design I have 2.23 lb of total grains in my recipe for a maple chocolate porter that I plugged in from the Brooklyn Brewshop recipe book. In beersmith under the mash tab, it says 1.90 lb in the "mash grain wt" box and asks me to mash in with 2.38 qt of water (using 1.25 qt per lb). That number makes sense if it hinges on the 1.90 lb in the mash grain weight box.

If my total grains bill is 2.23 lb, then shouldn't I be mashing in with 2.79 qt of water? (ex, 2.23 lb x 1.25 qt?)

I guess my question is that I don't understand the difference between the two numbers. In my mind, they should be the same. Why is there a difference between "total grain" weight in the design and "mash grain wt" in the mash tab?

Any insight would be super helpful.

This got posted twice because my browser stalled. Can a moderator please delete the repost?

If you post your Beersmith Recipe here as .bsmx file, we'll be able to figure it out.

That will allow us to open it up in beersmith and see all of the tabs, instead of just the base recipe.  i suspect that one of your grains is set at steep instead of mash.  Do you have a grain ingredient that is 5.3 ounces? If you do then double click on that grain on the design tab to open it up and make sure that "Recommend Mash" is checked.

I had a look and I could not find anything to that effect.

I have attached the exported recipe file.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ChocolateMaplePorter.bsmx
    20 KB · Views: 181
Your actual grain weight is 1.9 pounds.  For some reason the program is adding your maple syrup as grain on the design page to get total grains on the design page.  But on the mash page, the maple syrup isn't figured into the grain weight.  With the maple sugar + grains, you have 1.9 pounds of grain and 5.3 ounces of maple syrup = 2.23 pounds.  Since that mash tab is figuring your mash water volume correctly for the 1.9 pounds of grain that you actually have..........Brew it!!

Ha! Thanks so much. I was racking my brain going back between the two pages. Funny how easy it is to miss a simple detail.

Thanks!

Back