• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch sparge question

itsratso

Master Brewer
Reaction score
planning an upcoming big beer for a fundraising event. I will be brewing 5 gal of a 1.100 stout. I have a grain bill of around 25 lbs. of grain into a 10 gal igloo cooler mash tun. BS is telling me to add 8.5 gal. water to mash in - there is no way that it will all fit into my igloo, 25 lbs. of grain has to take up more than 1.5 gal. of room. so I figure no prob, I will just adjust my "fill mash tun to 90%" down to 80%. and BS tells me ... to add 8.5 gal of water at mash in? adjust down to fill to 70% and still 8.5 gal of water. so two questions: 1. am I right that this can't possible fit? and 2. is 8.5 gal the minimum water you can add to get a this gravity?

scroll down do Can I mash It?
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

I used this on my last batch. did 30# in 12 gallons with way more than 1.2 qt/LB.

interesting. almost didn't use that link as I am from Chicago and we don't go for all that green bay stuff around here.  :-X thanx for the link, it says I will be about a half gallon over so I guess I can just short it a little if I have to. does anyone know though why the mash in amount doesn't change when you change the "fill mash tun to.." amount? I even changed my igloo profile from 10 gal cooler to 9.5 gal and tried to re-scale the recipe and THAT didn't change the mash amount either?

You could export and post the recipe file here to take a look. It should account for mash tun size.

here are two versions of the same recipe, both are identical. except in one I have scaled the recipe for a 9 gal mash tun and the other has a 10 gal mash tun. the mash in amt. has not changed for both, it is the same for both?

Attachments

• one.bsmx
    26.4 KB · Views: 158
  • two.bsmx
    26.4 KB · Views: 167
and just noticed if I try to scale down the recipe for a 5 gal. mash tun it still tells me to mash in with 8.6 gal.  :eek: so something is clearly not right here.

Wow, that is bizarre. It's not something you've done or can change. It just a lousy notification. If you look on the Mash tab you'll see the Mash Volume Needed has a red flag next to it. I guess that is the only thing stopping people from making a mess.

so it seems like the best (not easiest, as it is kinda a pita) way to get around this would be to simply split the mash in into two even halves and just mash/sparge twice and combine them together. one question about this though - if i cut the grains in half and the mash in volume in half, how/do i have to adjust the mash in temp to meet my strike temp?

Splitting is is a great option when going for 1.100 because efficiency really takes a nose dive when making beers that big.

If I had to do it. I would copy the recipe to a new file (using the Save As button) and then scale down to %50. then just delete the extra file after brewday.

Back