• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Windows 8.1 High Resolution Screens and Increased Font Size

redbone

Brewer
Reaction score
The following image shows scaling problems when using a high resolution monitor with increased font sizes.  The program doesn't scale very well.  I'd love to see enhancements regarding this, as it will become more and more of an issue in the future.

I second that.  I just bought a new computer and have same complaint.

How big of a monitor are you using? I use a 24" HD monitor and don't see any problems. I'm curious because have thought of upgrading to a larger size or hooking my PC to my 60" smart TV.

It's not the size, it's the resolution. And in the OP's case the enlarged font chosen. Since the font problem also exists in web pages I doubt it will get fixed in Beersmith. Though the resolution and massive amounts of blank space in higher resolutions seems like it would be an easy fix.

What resolution has this issue? I always have my monitor settings with increased size when on my PC. Not just font, but zoom ratios for everything. So I'm wondering if my monitor isn't capable of this super high resolution, preventing the problem? If someone can list the resolution with issues, I'll compare it to mine. If mine is the same, I'll check all my settings to see if that helps with a solution. If my monitor doesn't have the high resolution, then I'll know which monitors to avoid for awhile.  ;)

Maybe you could post a screenshot of your perfect high-resolutionBeersmith so people can see what you're talking about.

grathan said:
Maybe you could post a screenshot of your perfect high-resolutionBeersmith so people can see what you're talking about.

I'm not saying mine is perfect by any means, just trying to provide some help to the OP.

I have my settings at 125% for the size of all items within the Display options. My monitor is set to a resolution of 1920 x 1080 at 59 Hertz. If the OP has a higher resolution than this, then obviously I will not see the same image and problem.
I'll admit there is quite a bit of blank space on the page, but I guess my expectations of a program that I purchased for about $20 are different than others. I've included a screen capture of my Beersmith setup so the OP can compare.

Attachments

• Beersmith Example - Copy.JPG
    Beersmith Example - Copy.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 505
That doesn't look bad. I turned mine down to 1900x1080 and enlarged font to %125 to get a comparison to your photo. I have a suspicion there is less deadspace in your photo for some odd reason.

*EDIT seems similar to mine. I hate having to scroll the main view to see all the selectable fields and also it doesn't even come close to showing all the ingredients without scrolling. The deadspace on mine seems caused by not using a sidebar explorer menu. As if beersmith does not dynamically adapt the view when this is disabled...

I think the OP is either using %150 or perhaps has set an explicit font in explorer.

*EDIT #2 Just tested %150 and it didn't cause the fonts to not fit. I have seen this issue before. Other than changing the font in explorer it may also be possible that the OP used graphics card software to change font instead of using Windows right-click on desktop..

Attachments

• desktop test 1080.png
    desktop test 1080.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 470
Your attached screen capture looks like mine if I remove the side menus. I can't say I like them there, but without them there is a ton of unused space on the right side for me. Also, mine will show a scroll bar like I can get more info if I slide the page down. Funny thing is the screen moves about a millimeter when I scroll down, so shouldn't even be active.

I agree, the OP must have font changes made or something above my computer experience.

am also having the problem with a linux Fedora21 laptop with a HiDPI screen ( 3200 x 1800 ), pretty much makes it unuseable :(

I just posted a fix for the Windows version (as beta 2.2.13) here:
  http://beersmith.com/download-beersmith

Cheers,
Brad

Back