• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

[HELP] I can't understand one of the steps.

Is2Beer

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello Guys, be patient I'm a newbie homebrewer and my english is poor  :-[

I'm planing to cook this exactly recipe next saturday beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/9963/cherry-wit.
On the notes the recipe says: "1oz Mahlab 5 min boil. 1 pint sour cherry concentrate keg. 50/50 RO"

First problem: I couldn't find Mahlab anywhere so I decided to put 1oz of cherry's seed exposed on the sun whole day to dry. Is this a problem?

Second problem: Sour Cherry is called "Ginja" here in Brazil and it's impossible to find, so I bought Chilean Cherries and What does it mean "50/50 RO"?

Any extra tips?

Thanks for the help!

Here's a Wikipedia link to explain what mahlab is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahlab

I think that you did well with what you did.  RO is reverse osmosis water.  The instructions aren't very clear on how to use the RO water. 

The recipe designer is probably mixing his home water supply with 50% RO water.  Maybe his home water supply isn't that great for brewing.  A lot of brewers use RO water either 100% or cut their home water with RO water.  Unfortunately, he put that note next to the cherry seed and juice addition in his recipe, making it seem like he cut the juice with RO water.  I doubt that he did that though.  I don't know anyone that adds RO water to a juice that they add.

I wouldn't worry about it.  I think your beer is going to taste great.

Good luck!

Fortunately our water is very good to brew, even the PH.
I tried to convert cherry seeds into homemade mahlab, it was a disaster, 2 hours working in 800g to get only 5g, definitely didn't worth it. I'll substitute for something similar.

About the concentrate juice in your opinion what is the best time to put? 5 min boil?

Thanks a lot for your explanation.

I usually put it into the fermenter.  Fresh juice flavors get scrubbed by fermentation, but you can put fruit in at anytime.  Just google "adding fruit to beer".  You'll get a bunch of discussions on it.

Back