• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pot size

steves

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Thinking if upgrading next year to biab. If I were to make ten gallon batches, is 15 gallon pot big enough or should I spend the extra money for a 20 gallon pot? Thanks

Always go for the larger size when it comes to mash tuns and boil pots.  You'll enventually want a larger size anyway!

I use a 15.5 keggle for 10 gallon batches and size hasn't been an issue yet.  I use a 48 quart square cooler for my mash tun.

Mark

I don't BIAB but 15 gallons is fine for 10 gallon batches for me.  Pre boil volumes are usually somewheres about 12-13 gallons.

I'd suggest that you get the biggest pot you can afford. It's one of the single most expensive items in your brewery. Better to get a bigger pot now than to wish you did later.

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to upgrading in 2015, larger batches equals more to share!

No way, you will have a boil over mess! Your going to be too close to the top with your pre-boil mash. 10 gall0ns to keg, 1 gal boil off, 1 gal loss to fermenting and trub. That's at least 12 gallons your going to boil, ha ha good luck!

Rule of thumb is: your pot needs to be twice the size of your batches. so 10 gallon batch = 20 gallon pot. I do 10 gallon batches in a 15 gallon pot all the time, but you better be siting with your hand on the valve to avoid a boil over. Only reason I don't have a 20 gallon pot is I bought the 15 gallon one first and now I don't have the $$$.  :-\

Back