• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Trouble shooting my first all grain beer (sweet smell/taste)

hewzter

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

First, let me apologize  my poor english, I am from Sweden. Also, I am kind of new to brewing, I just started this autumn.

Now, I would like some help identifying a problem. I get it in all my beers so far, it's most noticiable in hop heavy IPA/DIPA's, it does not matter in stouts and porters. The recipies I use is top ranked beersmith recipies with very small alternations (we use malts from "Viking malt", but exchange recipies malt with Vikings pale ale, caramell/crystal, munich etc).

When primary and secondary are finished the beer tastes excellent, all the hop aroma and taste I was looking for, then i add the carbonation sugar and in the bottles they go. After a week on bottle the smell starts to get "sweet/fruity" almost like strawberrie bubblegum, it is hard to describe. At this point half the hop flavour is still there. After two weeks and older bottle conditioning, the sweet smell totally removes ALL smell of hops. Now, I can smell this on beer i buy sometimes also, especially now when i recognize it. 

Could it be DMS in low quantities giving this smell? I have been searching diffrent forums for a few weeks now and no one describes this smell (or they do, but I dont realize it). Does anyone know what I am describing? DMS is always described as canned corn or overcooked veggies, and that does not describe my problem very good.

I suspect DMS since we have been having problems getting a really good rolling boil with out equipment, It's moving, but definitley not as it could be. The next planned brewing we will be adding more power for a better boil.

Anyone know what I am talking about and have some input would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

best regards from Henrik

From MoreBeer.com

https://morebeer.com/themes/morewinepro/mmpdfs/mb/off_flavor.pdf

Estery/Fruity
• Tastes/Smells Like: Fruit, especially banana, to a lesser
extent, pear, strawberry, raspberry, grapefruit
• Possible Causes: Esters are a naturally occurring byproduct
of fermentation. Certain ales are supposed
to have these fruity flavors, such as Belgian ales and
Hefeweizens (German Wheat beer) and certain types
of yeast produce more esters than others. Strong
fruity flavors or fruity flavors that are inappropriate
for the style of beer are sometimes a result of under
pitching or high fermentation temperatures. As a
general rule, the higher the fermentation temperature,
the more esters the yeast will produce. In addition
to high fermentation temperatures, low oxygen
levels can also help increase the production of esters.
• How to Avoid: Always pitch enough yeast for the gravity
of your beer and oxygenate well. Keep fermentation
temperatures under 75ºF when possible. Fermenting
over 75ºF has been shown to drastically increase esters.
Fermenting between 60ºF–65ºF will reduce ester
production considerably, however, be prepared for
a slower fermentation. Lastly, always use the correct
yeast for the style of beer being brewed. Yeast strains
made for Belgian or German wheat beers are made
to produce fruity characteristics, so if you are trying
to avoid beers that taste like bananas, avoid using
these strains.

Back