• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Milling once, milling twice.

Mofo

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
In my most recent batch, in an effort to improve mash efficiency, I ran 50% of my grain bill through the mill twice. Seemed a simple enough trick. And seems to have worked; I hit my numbers.

Aside from a possible stuck sparge (didn't happen) am I risking anything else (i.e. extracting tannins or other non-desireables)?

I have a non-adjustable 2-roller mill and use a Gott-style 10 gal cooler MLT with a braided steel O-ring manifold.

I think it would be fine as long as there isn't excessive flour.

What's your gap set to?  I set my mill to .037 inches for 2-row and .030 for wheat.  I've gone as low as .035 for 2-row and no issues with tannins.

Mark

I have been grinding my grain twice at .037 and so far have not had an issue with a stuck sparge. I do a modified fly sparge. I started grinding twice because I have a Millars Mill grinder and at first I was getting a lot of uncrushed grain after milling, so I started running it twice. Had no issues with the double grind so I continue to do it.

I think my plan now is to continue milling an increasing percentage of my grain bill twice at .037 until the sparge sticks, then back off. And keeping rice hulls on hand sounds like a good idea, @Maine. Thanks!

Back