• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inconsistent Sparge Volume

kwikness

New Forum Member
Reaction score
My sparge volumes appear to be inconsistent. On my volumes tab, I'm getting 2.3 gallons.

However, in the mash tab, it reads, "Drain mash tun , 2.85gal".

I find it weird that there's a comma in there; definitely seems like something's wrong. What's worse, I don't know how much to actually sparge with. Is this just telling me to drain that much before the sparge?

I've attached my .bsmx file. Hope someone can help. If there's any more information I could give, please let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• hs.bsmx
    22.2 KB · Views: 164
  • hs.bsmx
    22.2 KB · Views: 159
In the mash profile, either click "drain mashtun before sparging" or unclick the "use equal batch sizes." Or, tighten up the mash below the 1.25:1 water ratio.

Unless you do multiple batches, BeerSmith will try to equalize the sparge volume with the first runnings.

Brewfun, I don't wrap my head around what you're saying, so perhaps you've already answered things, but just in case:

The images don't seem to match the recipe file posted, perhaps you changed it?

Here is what it looks like when I import it. Note the additional sparge addition.

*edit it does look like my global options affect the numbers, my grain absorption is set much higher. Though even that is weird because I absorb over a gallon more, but only add 0.5 gallon additional water to compensate.

Attachments

• ragesauce.png
    ragesauce.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 340
The contrast between your results and the OP's is a great illustration about how BeerSmith calculates sparge.

Since you have more water absorption, the first sparge step is telling you to add 0.47 gallons, then do a second sparge at 2.85 gallons. In the Vols tab, I think you'll see the water available from mash plus the 0.47 added is about 2.8 to 2.95 gallons.

Sparge boxes checked:

Batch Sparge Option. This must be checked for any batch sparge calculation. The first volume is added to the mash and the total will be equal to the fill percentage specified, plus a little for grain absorption.

Drain Before Sparging. Means just that. the first runnings are drained. The next batch will bring the volume to the fill percentage specified. That will repeat until the last sparge is simply the remainder needed to fill the kettle to preboil volume.

Use Equal Batch Size. This just splits batches into equal sizes. The first number is to add to the first runnings before draining. It relies on the brewer to create a mash ratio that yields less wort than the needed sparge volume.

PRO TIP: What catches most people is if the mash water ratio yields more wort than would be needed for a second sparge. BeerSmith will equalize the second sparge to be closer to the first runnings volume. Yes, this is a bug because it results in a higher than expected preboil volume. The solution is to either tighten up the mash water ratio, or also check the Drain Before Sparging box.

Both Drain & Equal Checked. The brewer will be instructed to drain the mash. Then, regardless of the first runnings volume, all batches will be equal volumes based on the fill percentage specified. This is the most accurate option.

Great answers and information Brewfun. Thanks very much for the help.

Back