• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SMOKED LEMON GINGER MEAD*

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Had great success with meads back in the early days, so I thought I would give it another shot.

This is for 6 gallons
8lb Lyman Woods Honey
5lbs Lyman Woods Burnt Honey*
4 oz smoked malt
4 oz ginger root
3 lemons
WLP099
Bring 5 gallons of water to a boil then cool to 170
Add smoked grains and let stand for 45 minutes
Stain off and raise temp to 185.
Add 1 1/2 lemon and 2 oz ginger (minced)
let sit for 30 minutes.

In a separate pot, bring 5lbs honey to a boil and reduce until it turns dark golden brown.

Add the 5 gallons of water and the other 8lbs of honey. raise temp to 170 for 45 minutes.

Cool rapidly and strain into carboy.
Add yeast per normal proceedure

At 5 days (or when ferment has subsided) transfer to secondary.

Bring 1 gallon of water to a boil and reduce to 170.
Introduce 2 ounces of ginger root and 1 1/2 lemon. Let stand for 1/2 hour to kill any bugs.
Reduce temp to @ 80 and introduce to secondary.
Seal it up with a blow off, just in case, and let it sit for a month for first tasting.

Hold off 1/2 the batch for a year, and see the difference (it will be huge)

Fingers crossed...Last one I made was back in 2000, and I still have 2 gallons of it. @ 3oz is all you need to get a really warm glow going!

Hi Billy,

That sounds really interesting. I can't wait for a year from now to find out how it turned out! I hope you post.

Unfortunately, Lyman was out of honey and won't be harvesting until NEXT August...So I did a Sima instead...

Back