• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mt. Hood hops dark beer????

KiltedONE

Apprentice
Reaction score
Any suggestions for easy dark beer using Mt, hood hops??? My first time brewing beer. Would a doppelbock to hard beer to make ??

I mostly like dark malty beers,: porter stouts,nut brown ales,  oatmeal stouts, doppelbocks, maibocks, eisbocks, schwartz beer, and beilgium beers. I live in germany for three years and got very spoiled!!

I growed about 6 oz of Mt. hood hops. this summer. they are in my deep freezer. air sealed. no O2!

I grew up making wine with my father and 2 years of making hard cider!
I time to get into beer making!
I have been drinking beer over 25 years!

Scott :)

A doppelbock is probably not the best choice for a first beer, because it is a lager.  Lagers require consistent and low fermentation temperatures.

You're better off starting with a stout, porter or malty brown ale.

Why can't he just use WLP 810 yeast for it? It'd be a little estery, but still good. Not so much control needed for the steam style yeast.

FWIW, I'm one that thinks of "Steam" as a process, not a true beer style.

I've never made a steam beer, so without having the experience with it, I never think to offer that up as a solution. 

Good idea though.  A "doppelbockish" beer without the lagering needs.

KiltedONE said:
What recipe do i use ? What yeast how much my. Hood hops?

This is a Doppelbock of mine. Scaled to 5.5 gallons and modified for Steam yeast.

With colder winter weather, ferment it anywhere that's between 55 and 65F. Basement, garage, etc. Let it take its time. You will be rewarded.

Navigator; It'll get ya where yer goin'.

Attachments

• Navigator DB HB.bsmx
    23 KB · Views: 27
Hey Brewfun...............How do I open this file?? I just download BS software, 2.2 . can't open file??
I would like to try you navigator DB beer recipe!

KiltedOne !

Oregon City,OR

KiltedONE said:
Hey Brewfun...............How do I open this file?? I just download BS software, 2.2 . can't open file??
I would like to try you navigator DB beer recipe!

You should just be able to download the file to your desktop or a folder, then just click it. The file should automatically open BeerSmith. Once open, just copy/paste it to your "My Recipes" folder in BeerSmith.

OR

With BeerSmith open, click File > Open then find the recipe file and click. Again, copy/paste to your "My Recipes" folder.

Thanks Brewfun!
I got it to work!! I printed out the Repice !( navigator DB)

What is three stage fermentation???( steam beer precess??)
I can use my hops!!!!!!!!!!!sweet!    !!!!

I just a bought a 5.00 gal carboy, How can reduce the final output of beer to 5 gal?????????

Thanks!  ;)

Your Recipe is 5.5 gal where should I cut the mash to 5.00 gal??

Scott
aka
KiltedONE

KiltedONE said:
Your Recipe is 5.5 gal where should I cut the mash to 5.00 gal??

In time, you'll learn all of the ways to make BeerSmith do the calculations for you. So, I'm just going to simplify this with two quick steps.

Just change the batch size to 5 gallons. That'll reduce the preboil volume, too.

After changing batch size, you'll notice that the gravity jumps up a little. So, just change the 10 minute Mt Hood hop addition to 1 ounce. That'll bring the flavors into balance.

Other recipes might've needed to make more adjustments and BeerSmith is made for doing that. In this case, it was easy to adjust without another round of questions. There's a lot of great advice to be had on this forum, so don't hesitate to ask. If you get a great answer to your question, you can send karma [applaud] the person that gave it to you.

Remember to sanitize EVERYTHING that touches the wort after the boil.

Back