• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Irish Car Bomb Stout

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I want to get this brewed up soon, so it can be ready for St Patrick's day!

Looking for thoughts/feedback.

For anyone that doesn't know what an Irish Car Bomb is, its where you put Bailey's Irish Creme and Jamison Irish Whisky in a shot glass and drop it in a glass of Guinness and chug.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.40 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal 
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 32.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                                    Type                   
13 lbs                NW Pale Ale Malt (4.0 SRM) (US)          Grain           
1 lbs                  Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                      Grain           
1 lbs                  Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain             
4.0 oz              Midnight Wheat (550.0 SRM)                Grain             
1.00 oz            Magnum [13.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop           
12.0 oz            Milk Sugar (Lactose) [End of Boil]        Sugar         
2.0 pkg            PacMan (Wyeast #1764)                      Yeast           
4.40 oz            Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days)          Flavor               
2.00                  Vanilla Beans (Secondary 1.0 weeks)    Flavor     
4.40 oz            Jamison (Secondary 1.0 weeks)            Other                 

For anyone who doesn't know Irish car bombs killed a lot of good people.

Don't get me wrong, I truly love Irish people. But to cavalierly name a drink after some murderous extremest assholes deadly exploits is just plain wrong and offensive. The irish friends I know love life and have no interest in taking it.

Call it something else and it may well be an interesting brew.

Respectfully I agree with TA... especially if you anticipate sharing it with any Irish friends.

Ok, I didn't name the cocktail, but the name is sorta beside the point.

OK, now that we're done giving you a hard time for something you had nothing to do with ;)

Looks good to me... I'm personally very sensitive to the Oak so for a first pass I'd probably omit it.  I've never used the Pacman yeast, I take it you're a fan?  I've also never incorporated whiskey or any other hard alcohol into a batch, but I gather adding it to secondary would be the way to do it.  Any thoughts on why you haven't included Bailey's?  Looks like you're going for the same effect with the Lactose?

Edit:  Thanks for having thick skin  :p

I tried this as a partial awhile back, and it came out dam good. The ingredients were set for the partial, not an all grain. Your recipe looks good and I will have to try it if it come out the way I think it will.

And there is nothing wrong with the name

I think ill drop the oak.
I love pacman. Its a beast. I want the base stout to be dry with the lactose and vanilla beans giving me the baileys like flavor and texture without the curdling problem

Back