• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profile for the Sabco Brew Magic Questions

S.O.B.

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I use the Sabco Brew Magic and I have a couple questions about the equipment profile.

1. For the lauter tun dead space, my mash tun has a siphon under a false bottom and it empties the MT 100% would the value not be 0? as the siphon really empties it completely, leaving pretty much nothing behind?

2. Under the boiler heading it has a space for boil time. I do both 60 and 90 minute boils. Should I then have 2 profiles, both the same other than this boil time value? or when you set the boil time in the recipe design does it change this value?

3. under fermenter and bottling losses. Does the value of loss to trub and chiller not depend heavily on amount of hops in the recipe?? I mean my IPA has way more trub left in the boil kettle at the end of transfer than my Blonde ale.

Any help or thoughts on this would be great. I love Beer Smith, I just really want to be sure I have it dialed in as much as possible and that I am using it correctly! Seems great as is, but I'm sure I can get it dialed in better.

Thanks

Each of your questions modifies the one asked previous. So, I'm answering similarly.

S.O.B. said:
1. For the lauter tun dead space, my mash tun has a siphon under a false bottom and it empties the MT 100% would the value not be 0? as the siphon really empties it completely, leaving pretty much nothing behind?

Yes. But the extra water will affect your strike temperature and water needed. The solution is to simply design your beer with your favorite liquor to grist ratio. Then, once you're happy with the grain bill, simply add the 1.5 gallons (or actual value) under the false bottom to the strike water needed. This will change the water ratio, but it's not going to change your efficiency.

2. Under the boiler heading it has a space for boil time. I do both 60 and 90 minute boils. Should I then have 2 profiles, both the same other than this boil time value? or when you set the boil time in the recipe design does it change this value?

No. Just change the boil time as needed. BeerSmith will adapt the preboil volume, gravity and sparge water needed.

3. under fermenter and bottling losses. Does the value of loss to trub and chiller not depend heavily on amount of hops in the recipe?? I mean my IPA has way more trub left in the boil kettle at the end of transfer than my Blonde ale.

Yes. And that will lower your brewhouse efficiency, too. I have a separate profile for super hoppy beers. This also accounts for the greater loss from dry hopping.

However, I'd suggest just setting up the equipment profile for optimum conditions. Then, as you brew beers with more trub, just use the average "measured efficiency" number to create the super hoppy profile.

Back