• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

The volume of mash

ArtemBrewer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I can not find in Tools, how get at the total mash volume of malt and water mix?

It's baked into the recipe design.

Look at the Mash tab, far left columns, second from the bottom, "Mash Volume Needed."

This lets you see how full the mashtun is, no matter how many times you change the grist, liquor ratio, boil volume, etc. An external tool would just be less convenient and possibly not as accurate.

There is a full summary of your water additions and flow in the "Vols" tab of the recipe, too. That makes it easy to see everything at a glance.

How exactly is the Mash Volume needed calculated?
It doesn't seem to be as simple as total water added to mash tun plus grain volume, in my recipes?

Brewtiful said:
It doesn't seem to be as simple as total water added to mash tun plus grain volume, in my recipes?

Probably not as much of the liquid would be absorbed by the grain... sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question as to how it is actually calculated.

Brewtiful said:

Grain absorption and water expansion are factored into the numbers, so you can measure the water hot.

Expansion is in the equipment profile, where it can be easily changed. The absorption is found in Options > Advanced.

Thats great thanks. I was going mad trying to calculate it from the figures on the mash page!

Back