• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Building my equipment profile

uSlackr

Apprentice
Reaction score
Bought BS 2 last month and brewed my first beer with it today.  I'm trying to fine tune my equipment profile.  Is there any method for using the results of the brew to adjust  meaurements (efficiency, mashtun deadspace, etc)?
Thanks

\\Greg

Of course!

To start with, accurately measure the volume that made it into the fermenter. This is the actual batch volume. Put this into the recipe fields for the measured values, along with the OG.

Next, use the Measured Efficiency number (found in the fermentation tab) of your recipe for your Brewhouse Efficiency number in the Equipment Profile.

In your next batches, accurately measure the post boil volume and then the fermenter volume. The average difference is your "Loss to Trub and Chiller" in the equipment profile.

Along with an accurate boil off rate, BeerSmith should predict the correct volumes and gravities for your recipes.

You are doing the set-up the right way: calculating your actual results and using it to tune in your profiles.  Brewfun is correct in how to reconfigure your profiles from the brew data.  I also use a spreadsheet to track the results over a number of brew sessions to determine variability and use the average values to tune my profile.

Thanks, everyone. 
This was my first beersmith recipe and had some weirdness.  1) I pulled 8 gallons if wort from the mash tun  (should be 7.25) and 2) wound up +10  points in SG.  I've decided that the batch might be a out of sorts so I'm not going to adjust based on these results. 

I like @Oginme's idea to track these results over time.  Sounds like a plan.

Thanks again

\\Greg

Back