• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

problems saving recipes

chipster69

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have tried to save several recipes in BeerSmith, but they disappear.  I looked in the default directory /BeerSmith2, and can find previously downloaded recipes, but when I open them up, make changes, then try to resave under a new name/same name/whatever, the recipe is gone.  How do I correct?  Thanks in advance!

chip

When I want to alter a recipe, but still retain the original recipe, I use the following procedure.

Instead of opening the recipe, I right click on the recipe name in the list that I want to alter, which brings up a window with a list of options.
I  left click on "copy".
I then left click away from all of the recipes in an empty space below or to the right of the list. (This un-highlights all of the recipes in the list.)
I then right click away from all of the recipes, in that same empty area, which brings up another window with options.
I then left click on "paste".  (This creates another recipe that is a complete duplicate.)
I double click on one of those duplicates to open it up.  I then change the name of the recipe and click "save". 

I now have a newly named copy of the original recipe, which I can make changes to without making changes to the original recipe.

It sounds like it's a lot to do, but it's actually quite easy once you've done it a few times.

Beersmith doesn't save each recipe to it's own file. It blotches them all together in the files notes1.bsmx, recipes1.bsmx files etc..

Thanks for the input.  I will try the save method.  As for the individual files, that I understand - but why won't the new recipes appear in the My Recipes list?

Not sure. My recipes save to a folder called "Recipes". Is there a folder called "Recipes" within the "My Recipes" folder?

Back