• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you set the bottle size for carbonation?

monsteroyd

Apprentice
Reaction score
I use 1 L bottles and do carbonation in the bottle. I'd like to use BS to help with carbonation, but for the life of me I can find nothing on how to set the size of the bottle in BS so it will calculate the correct amount of sugar for carbonation. Is there a way to do this?

EDIT: forgot to mention I do bottle priming not batch.

Thanks in advance
Monty

I don't think there is a way to do what you want to with BS.  However, you can have beersmith perform it as a batch to get the total priming sugar calculation.  Once you know the total sugar required, you can then divide the total sugars required by the number of bottles you'll be filling.  That will give you the amount of sugar per bottle.

For example:
You have enough beer for 54 bottles.  This is the normal number of 12 ounce bottles produced from 5 gallons of beer.  If you want 2 volumes of CO2, then you will need 3.14 ounces of corn sugar for the 5 gallons.

Using these parameters, you'd use the formula, 3.14/54=.058 ounces of corn sugar, per bottle.

My question is: Why would you want to do it this way? 

I can't imagine measuring out 54 doses, when I can just gently blend 3.14 ounces into the entire batch and then bottle it.

ok that makes sense. And the reason I do bottle priming is that I do smaller 2.25 gallon batches (Mr Beer LBK) that I bottle into 8 1L PET bottles. I use sugar cubes so it is very easy and quick and I don't have to rack over to a bottling bucket, just bottle right from the fermenter. Works great for me.

Thanks
Monty

monsteroyd said:
I use 1 L bottles and do carbonation in the bottle. I'd like to use BS to help with carbonation, ... Is there a way to do this?

This is exactly what the carbonation tool is for. You can set any size container, carbonation level and the storage temperature. The sugar per container will be calculated for you. Malt extract, too, if you'd like!

Tools > Carbonation

brewfun said:
monsteroyd said:
I use 1 L bottles and do carbonation in the bottle. I'd like to use BS to help with carbonation, ... Is there a way to do this?

This is exactly what the carbonation tool is for. You can set any size container, carbonation level and the storage temperature. The sugar per container will be calculated for you. Malt extract, too, if you'd like!

Tools > Carbonation

Nice catch Brewfun.  I never thought about it like that.  He could just set the batch size to his 1 liter bottle and it will do the math for him.  +1

Back