• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Estimated Mash Efficiency

brick101

Apprentice
Reaction score
How do I change my "Estimated Mash Efficiency" in beersmith 2.2.12? Mine is set to 86.4% and it should be closer to 72 to 75%. I allways miss estimated O.G. by 4-8 points low on hydrometer readings, but my water levels allways come out correct, just wondering if maybe this is the reason why.

Your mash efficiency is tied to the brewhouse efficiency.

Brewhouse efficiency is the total percentage of sugars that make it to the fermenter.

So, if you're telling Beersmith that you have 75% Brewhouse efficiency, with "batch + X loss to trub" the only way you can get that efficiency is with increased mash efficiency to account for the X loss volume.

Lower your Brewhouse Efficiency by the same percentage as your loss to trub is to the post-boil volume. That should bring the mash efficiency closer to your expectations.

ok thanks that helps a lot! I change total efficiency to 68% and that makes my numbers match for what I brewed today! Also changed that % on some previous recipes and it made my numbers a lot closer.

Back