• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hop utilization

captjpr3

Brewer
Reaction score
Much of the reading I've done tells me that larger boils will bring out more bitterness from the hops so proportionally less bittering hops are required. My question is will there be a noticeable difference when going from 5 gallon batches to 20 gallon? And will there be a difference in the amount of aromatics extracted in a larger batch? 

Besides just volume, a lot of variables change with batch size. If you're scaling a recipe for a system someone else has used (like a club system), there should be some experienced users you can ask.  If it's a new system, I'd suggest making a batch you've made before, that has a wide target range. Something like a pale ale or wheat beer.

Most often, depending on the heat source and power, somewhere between 10% and 30% more utilization is noticed in larger batches.

Back